Wednesday, July 15, 2009

French Dip Sandwiches

This is one of my favorite meals. And it is so easy! If we have leftovers, I use it the second day to make a sort of Philly Cheese Sandwich with sauteed peppers, mushrooms and onions. I usually butter the rolls and toast them under the broiler before I put the meat and cheese on and then again afterward. This recipe came from Taste of Home magazine--July/Aug 1999.

French Dip Sandwiches

2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup butter
1 boneless bottom round roast (3-4 lbs.)
5 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 1/2 tsp. browning sauce, optional (I don't use this)
1 garlic clove, minced
12-14 French rolls, split
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded swiss cheese (I usually use sliced)

In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; transfer to a slow cooker. Cut the roast in half; place over onions. Combine water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until the meat is tender.

Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on rolls; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted. Skim fat from the cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce.

Makes 12-14 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment