Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Enchiladas

I didn't like enchiladas when I still lived at home--now I love them. I found this in Mom's recipes and now it is one of my staples! Chili powder can differ in potency by brand and age so you may want to adjust by taste. The recipe makes enough sauce for two batches--I usually half it so I've included those measurements in parenthesis.

Enchiladas

Sauce
1/3 cup salad oil (1/6 cup)
1/4 cup (or less) chili powder (2 tsp.)
1 cup flour (½ cup)
1 Tbsp. cumin (½ Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. garlic salt (½ Tbsp.)
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce (1 can)
5 cups water, approx. (~3 cups)

Put oil and chili powder in pan and simmer. Stir in flour. Add other spices, tomato sauce, and water to make a gravy (not too thick).

1 lb. ground beef
chopped onion
cheddar cheese, grated
tortillas

Brown ground beef and onion. Drain and season with onion salt and pepper. Use half the sauce. Dip tortillas in sauce and fill with ground beef and cheese. Roll very tight and place in a baking dish. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with more grated cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes. Makes 1-1½ dozen enchiladas.

No comments:

Post a Comment